Spring is here and with it, the return of many pests. While cockroaches can be a year-round problem, they are most active, and more of a problem, during the summer months. Keeping your Portland home cockroach-free for the summer should be a priority, and here’s how to do it.
What Attracts Roaches to Your Portland Home
Like most pests, cockroaches enter homes for either food, water or shelter. Roaches can also be carried into your house if they are inside bags or boxes.
How to Keep Your Portland Home Cockroach-Free for the Spring
By understanding what attracts roaches to your Portland home, you can take preventative measures to help keep them out.
Since food is one main reason cockroaches end up in a home, it's essential that you don't let them find any. Below are some steps you can take:
- Keep all food put away instead of out on the counter.
- Ensure food stored in cabinets or the pantry is in sealed containers.
- Put dirty dishes in the dishwasher or clean them immediately after use.
- Wipe down countertops and tables after meals or food prep.
- Sweep and vacuum the floor regularly.
- Empty garbage cans frequently.
Cockroaches also come inside looking for water. You can help prevent this if you:
- Check for leaks regularly.
- Keep humidity low inside your house.
It’s also important to make it difficult for cockroaches to get inside in the first place. You can help accomplish this if you:
- Seal all cracks along your foundation walls.
- Repair holes in your siding.
- Seal up gaps around windows and doors.
- Make sure that window and door screens have no tears or holes.
- Check bags and boxes before bringing them inside.
What to Do if Roaches Invade Your Portland Home
If you discover cockroaches in your home, you need to take care of the problem immediately. Roaches are dangerous pests that cause many health problems, and they’re difficult to eliminate. Luckily, Kanga Pest Control can help. We will get to the root of your cockroach problem and solve it completely. Contact us for more information.